Amazon is ramping up for the holiday shopping season.
The online retailer is hosting job fairs statewide in a bid to hire 9,000 full- and part-time workers at its New Jersey fulfillment centers.
The company recently said it would increase its minimum wage to $15 an hour and up to $16.15 an hour beginning Nov. 1 to go with what it calls industry-leading benefits.
The growth of e-commerce has been a gift for the Garden State, which offers warehouses in the middle of the densely populated northeast.
Transportation and warehouse jobs in New Jersey grew 40 percent from 2013 to 2017 and now account for 5 percent of the state’s total employment, according to CBRE, a real estate company.
MORE: NJ jobs: These places are hiring as employers go ‘full throttle’
MORE: Need a job? Aldi hiring in Monmouth County
See the video above for the scene at Amazon during one job fair.
But this holiday season could be difficult for companies needing to hire. The state’s jobless rate was 4.2 percent in August, its lowest level in more than a decade. And CBRE noted the transportation and warehouse industry is already strapped.
Amazon has 16,000 employees at nine fulfillment centers in New Jersey, filling online orders around the clock and shipping them.
Among the job fairs:
- Monmouth County: Radisson Hotel Freehold: 50 Gibson Place, Freehold Township: Oct. 8 through Oct. 12: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Middlesex County: Crowne Plaza Princeton: 900 Scudders Mill Road, Plainsboro: Oct. 8 through Oct. 30: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Morris County: Best Western: 270 South St., Morristown: Oct. 8 through Oct. 12: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Burlington County: Double Tree: 515 Fellowship Road, Mount Laurel: Oct. 12: 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Union County: Crowne Plaza Newark Airport: 901 Spring St., Elizabeth: Oct. 10: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Job hopefuls who can’t attend the event can apply online at amazon.com/njjobs.
Michael L. Diamond; @mdiamondapp; 732-643-4038; firstname.lastname@example.org